Terminal Roles control the POS terminal level access and functionality in Appetize products. Roles can be created or managed at the enterprise and/or venue level. Terminal Roles must be created prior to Terminal Account creation.
Permissions Sets must be created prior to creating a Terminal Role.
** Items are controlled within the Employee Roles and the setting does not need to be configured when creating a Terminal Role.
* Items are Activate Classic features that are not currently supported in Enterprise or ActivateX.
Create Terminal Roles
- Log in to Connect and select Options from the left side menu.
- Select Terminal Roles from the Options menu.
- Select the blue Create button.
- Configure the options on the General Tab.
- Role Name: Name used to identify a given role; recommended to include specific Activate functions such as tips, tabs, print, digital signature, etc. to help identify the purpose of the role.
- Permissions Set: Select a Permissions Set from the drop-down list.
- Default Offline Mode: The Offline Mode enabled by default after logging in; recommended to use Auto mode in case the network is unstable POS will respond automatically.
- Level: Determine the level of the Connect user that will be able to assign this Terminal Role to accounts.
- * Profile Type: Select either POS or Restaurant Mode.
- Prompt Order Details: Determine if check details are entered after selecting the First Item or on Checkout.
- Note: This is an ActivateX feature.
- * Edit Offline Order: This function can be enabled to edit an order while running offline.
- Offline Order Limit: The dollar amount users are allowed to accept during offline credit card transactions.
- Request Timeout: The amount of seconds a request has to attempt or respond in a transaction.
- Orders Autocomplete: Enable if orders should complete automatically.
- Orders Autocomplete Minute: The amount of minutes for a transaction to autocomplete on the KDS if not manually completed before the time set.
- Submit Orders By: Select what information will be referenced when submitting the order on the receipt, at the KDS and in the order details.
- Terminal Name
- Card Holder
- Device Name
- Both Terminal and Card Holder.
- Select First Screen: Selecting this will default to this category when signing into Activate. (ie. All, Food, Drink, or Alcohol)
- Note: For use with Category Groups.
- Default POS Category: Selecting this will default to this category when signing into Activate.
- Note: For use with POS Categories.
- * Printing Preset: Select from Standard or Restaurant, Restaurant mode prints credit card vouchers for customers to add a tip and sign on a paper receipt.
- ** Is Manager: Enable if this employee role is intended for manager accounts.
- * Time clock only mode: Configuration for POS to be designated as time clock only device for shift tracking integration.
- Force Logout after transaction: If set to Yes the POS will automatically go back to the PIN screen after each transaction. Typically used at shared terminal locations.
- Seat Required: Enable for Activate to prompt for seat selection when opening a check or submitting an order.
- Require Seat Confirmation: Enable to confirm seat selection after updating or closing the order.
- Enable Barcode Scanner for iOS: Enable to use a scanner on iOS devices with a compatible mTab credit card reader.
- Special Instruction: Enable to add instructions per menu item during a transaction in Activate by clicking on the item.
- * Kiosk Mode: Adjusts power draw mode of the mTab credit card reader.
- * Parking Pass Mode: Setting to enable parking pass mode on iOS device
- * Enable Split Check: Setting to enable split check function.
- VDFLine1: Customizable text displayed on Line 1 of 2 line customer display
- VDFLine2: Customizable text displayed on line 2 of 2 line customer display
- Enable Login Message: By enabling this function messages set at VFDLines will show on Activate.
- Login Message Frequency: Click on the drop-down list to select message frequency.
- Refresh Timer: Set in seconds how often Activate communicates to the cloud to get the latest updates or changes in Connect.
- Maximum allowable Custom Discount Value per Item: Numerically set the maximum discount amount per menu item.
- Maximum Allowable Custom Discount Value for Cart: Numerically set the maximum discount amount per order.
- Inactivity Timeout: Time in seconds after which the POS will log out due to inactivity.
- Inactivity Warning Duration: Warning message before inactivity timeout logs user out.
- Show Actions: This enables User Actions.
- Dual Authentication: Additional layer of security for account login to include Employee ID and PIN.
- Cash End - Auto Logout: Log the user out after completing the Cash End action.
- Cash End - Unassign Cash Drawer: Unassign the cash drawer after completing the Cash End action.
- Default Order Type: Select a default Order type such as Dine In or Take Out
- Cached Auto Login: Creates a stored login in Activate that can be utilized to log into Activate when in offline mode.
- Allow Price Changes for Orders: Enable feature to allow price changes on orders.
- Price Changes require Supervisor Approval for Orders: Enable setting to require manager approval for price change.
- Allow Price Changes for Return: Enable feature to allow price change on returns.
- Price Changes require Supervisor Approval for Returns: Enable setting to require manager approval for price change for returns.
- ** Automatically return to menu (Seconds): Set in seconds a screen timer to go back to the main menu screen.
- Is proxy server: designates workstation as check sync server in table service environment
- * Enable Checks Combine: When using table service enable this setting to allow the employee to combine multiple checks into one.
- * Transfer Checks: When using table service enable setting to allow an employee to transfer checks to another employee within the same vendor.
- Cash Room Capabilities: Enable setting to require employees to use bank functions at POS.
- Allow POS use Without Entering Banks: Enable if banks are managed in Connect only.
- Starting Bank Amount: Set the starting bank amount in this box.
- Cash End Blind Drop: Enable to prevent the user from entering a total for Cash End Action.
- Allow Notes: Enable to allow notes on the orders.
- Click the green Checkmark in the upper right corner to Save.
- Once the Role is saved, the additional tabs can be accessed to continue configuring.
Core UI allows for the configuration of functions in Activate. Please see Terminal Roles - Core UI.
Note: The Core UI settings only apply to Activate X and are not compatible with the Classic versions of Activate for iOS and Android.
Please see Terminal Roles - Checkout.
Please see Terminal Roles - Calculations.
Please see Terminal Roles - Payments.
Check Numbers are used to auto-apply a customer-friendly check number range to a transaction. This is helpful in pickup scenarios to have an easy reference number to call.
Please see Terminal Roles - Check Number.
Images to be programmed for use on an Elo customer-facing display. Please see Terminal Roles - Splash Screen.
This tab will control all the 3rd party payment integration settings for the terminal behavior. These settings are applicable to Enterprise. Please see Terminal Roles - External Value.
Note: For Classic 3rd party payment integration settings please see the Payment tab.
Please see Terminal Roles - Manager Override.
The History tab shows changes made to the Terminal Role. Filter the information by Users, Property, and Dates.