Appetize Academy - Permissions, Roles, and Accounts
Want to watch some quick videos on this topic? Check out this course in Appetize Academy for more info.
Terminal Roles control the POS terminal level access and functionality in Appetize products. Roles can be created or managed at the enterprise and/or venue level. Terminal Roles must be created prior to Terminal Account creation.
Permissions Sets must be created prior to creating a Terminal Role.
** Items are controlled within the Employee Roles and the setting does not need to be configured when creating a Terminal Role.
* Items are Activate Classic features that are not currently supported in Enterprise or ActivateX.
Create Terminal Roles
- Log in to Connect and select Options from the left side menu.
- Select Terminal Roles from the Options menu.
- Select the blue Create button.
- Configure the options on the General Tab.
- Role Name: Name used to identify a given role; recommended to include specific Activate functions such as tips, tabs, print, digital signature, etc. to help identify the purpose of the role.
- Permissions Set: Select a Permissions Set from the drop-down list.
- Default Offline Mode: The Offline Mode enabled by default after logging in; recommended to use Auto mode in case the network is unstable POS will respond automatically.
- Level: Determine the level of the Connect user that will be able to assign this Terminal Role to accounts.
- * Profile Type: Select either POS or Restaurant Mode.
- Prompt Order Details: Determine if check details are entered after selecting the First Item or on Checkout.
- Note: This is an ActivateX feature.
- * Edit Offline Order: This function can be enabled to edit an order while running offline.
- Offline Order Limit: The dollar amount users are allowed to accept during offline credit card transactions.
- Request Timeout: The amount of seconds a request has to attempt or respond in a transaction.
- Orders Autocomplete: Enable if orders should complete automatically.
- Orders Autocomplete Minute: The amount of minutes for a transaction to autocomplete on the KDS if not manually completed before the time set.
- Submit Orders By: Select what information will be referenced when submitting the order on the receipt, at the KDS and in the order details.
- Terminal Name
- Card Holder
- Device Name
- Both Terminal and Card Holder.
- Select First Screen: Selecting this will default to this category when signing into Activate. (ie. All, Food, Drink, or Alcohol)
- Note: For use with Category Groups.
- Default POS Category: Selecting this will default to this category when signing into Activate.
- Note: For use with POS Categories.
- * Printing Preset: Select from Standard or Restaurant, Restaurant mode prints credit card vouchers for customers to add a tip and sign on a paper receipt.
- ** Is Manager: Enable if this employee role is intended for manager accounts.
- * Time clock only mode: Configuration for POS to be designated as time clock only device for shift tracking integration.
- Force Logout after transaction: If set to Yes the POS will automatically go back to the PIN screen after each transaction. Typically used at shared terminal locations.
- Seat Required: Enable for Activate to prompt for seat selection when opening a check or submitting an order.
- Require Seat Confirmation: Enable to confirm seat selection after updating or closing the order.
- Enable Barcode Scanner for iOS: Enable to use a scanner on iOS devices with a compatible mTab credit card reader.
- Special Instruction: Enable to add instructions per menu item during a transaction in Activate by clicking on the item.
- * Kiosk Mode: Adjusts power draw mode of the mTab credit card reader.
- * Parking Pass Mode: Setting to enable parking pass mode on iOS device
- * Enable Split Check: Setting to enable split check function.
- VDFLine1: Customizable text displayed on Line 1 of 2 line customer display
- VDFLine2: Customizable text displayed on line 2 of 2 line customer display
- Enable Login Message: By enabling this function messages set at VFDLines will show on Activate.
- Login Message Frequency: Click on the drop-down list to select message frequency.
- Refresh Timer: Set in seconds how often Activate communicates to the cloud to get the latest updates or changes in Connect.
- Maximum allowable Custom Discount Value per Item: Numerically set the maximum discount amount per menu item.
- Maximum Allowable Custom Discount Value for Cart: Numerically set the maximum discount amount per order.
- Inactivity Timeout: Time in seconds after which the POS will log out due to inactivity.
- Inactivity Warning Duration: Warning message before inactivity timeout logs user out.
- Show Actions: This enables User Actions.
- Dual Authentication: Additional layer of security for account login to include Employee ID and PIN.
- Cash End - Auto Logout: Log the user out after completing the Cash End action.
- Cash End - Unassign Cash Drawer: Unassign the cash drawer after completing the Cash End action.
- Default Order Type: Select a default Order type such as Dine In or Take Out
- Cached Auto Login: Creates a stored login in Activate that can be utilized to log into Activate when in offline mode.
- Allow Price Changes for Orders: Enable feature to allow price changes on orders.
- Price Changes require Supervisor Approval for Orders: Enable setting to require manager approval for price change.
- Allow Price Changes for Return: Enable feature to allow price change on returns.
- Price Changes require Supervisor Approval for Returns: Enable setting to require manager approval for price change for returns.
- ** Automatically return to menu (Seconds): Set in seconds a screen timer to go back to the main menu screen.
- Is proxy server: designates workstation as check sync server in table service environment
- * Enable Checks Combine: When using table service enable this setting to allow the employee to combine multiple checks into one.
- * Transfer Checks: When using table service enable setting to allow an employee to transfer checks to another employee within the same vendor.
- Cash Room Capabilities: Enable setting to require employees to use bank functions at POS.
- Allow POS use Without Entering Banks: Enable if banks are managed in Connect only.
- Starting Bank Amount: Set the starting bank amount in this box.
- Cash End Blind Drop: Enable to prevent the user from entering a total for Cash End Action.
- Allow Notes: Enable to allow notes on the orders.
- Click the green Checkmark in the upper right corner to Save.
- Once the Role is saved, the additional tabs can be accessed to continue configuring.
Core UI allows for the configuration of functions in Activate. Please see Terminal Roles - Core UI.
Note: The Core UI settings only apply to Activate X and are not compatible with the Classic versions of Activate for iOS and Android.
Please see Terminal Roles - Checkout.
Please see Terminal Roles - Calculations.
Please see Terminal Roles - Payments.
Check Numbers are used to auto-apply a customer-friendly check number range to a transaction. This is helpful in pickup scenarios to have an easy reference number to call.
Please see Terminal Roles - Check Number.
Images to be programmed for use on an Elo customer-facing display. Please see Terminal Roles - Splash Screen.
This tab will control all the 3rd party payment integration settings for the terminal behavior. These settings are applicable to Enterprise. Please see Terminal Roles - External Value.
Note: For Classic 3rd party payment integration settings please see the Payment tab.
Please see Terminal Roles - Manager Override.
The History tab shows changes made to the Terminal Role. Filter the information by Users, Property, and Dates.