Appetize Academy - Permissions, Roles, and Accounts
Want to watch some quick videos on this topic? Check out this course in Appetize Academy for more info.
Employee Roles provide control to a user's access and functionality in Appetize products. Roles can be created or managed at the Enterprise or Venue level. Employee Roles must be created prior to Employee Account creation.
Permissions Sets must be created prior to creating an Employee Role.
** Items are controlled within the Terminal Role and the setting does not need to be configured when creating an Employee Role.
* Items are Activate Classic features that are not currently supported in Enterprise versions.
Create Employee Roles
- Click the Employee Roles icon under the Accounts section on the Enterprise Connect Dashboard.
- Click the blue Create button.
- Configure the options on the General Tab.
- Role Name: Name used to identify a given role; recommended to include specific Activate tabs, print, digital signature, etc. to help identify the purpose of the role.
- Permissions Set: Select a Permissions Set from the drop-down list.
- ** Default Offline Mode: The Offline Mode enabled by default after logging in; recommended to use Auto mode in case the network is unstable POS will respond automatically.
- * Profile Type: Select either POS or Restaurant Mode.
- Level: Determine the level of the Connect user that will be able to assign this Employee Role to accounts.
- * Edit Offline Order: This function can be enabled to edit an order while running offline.
- Offline Order Limit: The dollar amount users are allowed to accept during offline credit card transactions.
- Orders Autocomplete: Enable if orders should complete automatically.
- Orders Autocomplete Minute: The amount of minutes for a transaction to autocomplete on the KDS if not manually completed before the time set.
- ** Submit Orders By: Select what information will be referenced when submitting the order on the receipt, at the KDS and in the order details.
- Terminal Name
- Card Holder
- Device Name
- Both Terminal and Card Holder.
- ** Select First Screen: Selecting this will default to this category when signing into Activate. (ie. All, Food, Drink, or Alcohol)
- Note: For use with Category Groups.
- ** Default POS Category: Selecting this will default to this category when signing into Activate.
- Note: For use with POS Categories.
- * Printing Preset: Select from Standard or Restaurant, Restaurant mode prints credit card vouchers for customers to add a tip and sign on a paper receipt.
- Is Manager: Enable if this employee role is intended for manager accounts.
- * Time clock only mode: Configuration for POS to be designated as time clock only device for shift tracking integration.
- ** Force Logout after transaction: Enable for the terminal or POS to automatically go back to the PIN screen after each transaction.
- ** Seat Required: Enable for Activate to prompt for seat selection when opening a check or submitting an order.
- ** Require Seat Confirmation: Enable to confirm seat selection after updating or closing the order.
- ** Enable Barcode Scanner for iOS: Enable to use a scanner on iOS devices with a compatible mTab credit card reader.
- Special Instruction: Enable to add instructions per menu item during a transaction in Activate by clicking on the item.
- * Kiosk Mode: Adjusts power draw mode of the mTab credit card reader.
- * Parking Pass Mode: Setting to enable parking pass mode on iOS device.
- Cash Room Capabilities: Enable setting to require employees to use bank functions at POS.
- Starting Bank Amount: Set the starting bank amount in this box.
- Allow POS use Without Entering Banks: Enable if banks are managed in Connect only.
- Auto Bank: Enable Auto Bank to have a bank template applied automatically.
- * Enable Split Check: Setting to enable split check function.
- ** VDFLine1: Customizable text displayed on Line 1 of 2 line customer display.
- ** VDFLine2: Customizable text displayed on line 2 of 2 line customer display.
- ** Enable Login Message: By enabling this function messages set at VFDLines will show on Activate.
- ** Login Message Frequency: Click on the drop-down list to select message frequency.
- ** Refresh Timer: Set in seconds how often Activate communicates to the cloud to get the latest updates or changes in Connect.
- ** Maximum allowable CustomDiscount Value per Item: Numerically set the maximum discount amount per menu item.
- ** Maximum Allowable Custom Discount Value for Cart: Numerically set the maximum discount amount per order.
- ** Inactivity Timeout: Time in seconds after which the POS will log out due to inactivity.
- ** Inactivity Warning Duration: Warning message before inactivity timeout logs user out.
- ** Show Actions: This enables User Actions.
- ** Dual Authentication: An additional layer of security for Activate logins to require Employee PIN and Code to access the menu.
- The Code must be configured in the Employee Account.
- ** Allow Price Changes for Orders: Enable feature to allow price changes on orders.
- ** Price Changes require Supervisor Approval for Orders: Enable setting to require manager approval for price change.
- ** Allow Price Changes for Return: Enable feature to allow price change on returns.
- ** Price Changes require Supervisor Approval for Returns: Enable setting to require manager approval for price change for returns.
- Automatically return to menu (Seconds): Set in seconds a screen timer to go back to the main menu screen.
- Is proxy server: designates workstation as check sync server in table service environment
- * Enable Checks Combine: When using table service enable this setting to allow the employee to combine multiple checks into one.
- * Transfer Checks: When using table service enable setting to allow an employee to transfer checks to another employee within the same vendor.
- Click the green Checkmark in the upper right corner to Save.
- Once the Role is saved, the additional tabs can be accessed to continue configuring.
Core UI options are managed on the Terminal Role, please see Terminal Roles - Core UI.
Checkout options are managed on the Terminal Role, please see Terminal Roles - Checkout
The Fee/Tip/Tax options are configured on the Terminal Role, please see Terminal Roles - Calculations.
Payment options are managed on the Terminal Role, please see Terminal Roles - Payment.
Check Number options are managed on the Terminal Role, please see Terminal Roles - Check Number.
The Splash Screen options are managed on the Terminal Role, please see Terminal Roles - Splash Screen.
External Values are managed on the Terminal Role.
For Enterprise 3rd party payment integrations, please see Terminal Roles - External Value.
For Classic 3rd party payment integrations, please see Terminal Roles - Payment.
All actions that can require a Manager Override are configured on the Terminal Role, please see Terminal Roles - Manager Override.
The Employee Role can be added to venues to use when creating Employee Accounts at the Venue level.
- Click the Assigned Venues tab.
- Click the Add Venue button.
- Select Assign to add a venue.
- Use the Assign All or Unassign All for mass updates.
The History tab shows changes made to the Employee Role. Filter the information by Users, Property, and Dates.