Appetize Academy - POS Categories
Want to learn more about POS Categories in Connect? Check out our course for POS Categories in Appetize Academy.
Overview: What are POS Categories?
POS Categories allow users the flexibility to create organized and complex nested category structures within Activate.
Creating POS Categories
To begin the process of building out POS Categories, a hierarchy must be built for each type of category. It’s best to start with a baseline Level 1 POS Category and build from there.
While all POS Categories are user-defined, some examples of Level 1 categories include Food, Drink, and Alcohol.
Creating POS Categories
- Log in to Connect Enterprise click on the Corporates Tab then click on Corporates, look for the venue and click on the Login tab there you will find the POS Categories Button, click on the POS Categories button to start.
- Click the blue Create button.
Note: Click on the Hamburger icon to export and import data.
- Enter details for all POS Categories, including Level 1.
- Display Name: Name of POS Category as it will display on the terminal (Ex: Wine)
- Internal Name: Internal description of the POS Category (Ex: All Wine options)
- Level: The hierarchy level in which the POS Category is located. If it's a new category hierarchy, the Level defaults to Level 1
- Parent Category: Related to the POS Category Hierarchy configuration, this allows users to nest POS Categories to their Parent Category. A Level 1 POS Category has no Parent Category.
- Button Text Color and Button Background Color: Optional features to customize button and background colors in Activate and Interact.
- Sort Order: The order of appearance of each POS Category.
- Receipt Trailer Message: In this box you can enter a message that will display on the transaction receipt. [a]
- Age Restriction: Item restrictions are available to give the end user the ability to restrict the sale of items and categories by age or external reasons. For example, if a vendor is selling alcohol and this is enabled, the terminal will prompt an age validation window before the execution of the sale.
- Allowable Return Window: The amount of days after purchased for return.
- Sales Channels: Select from the list the environment this POS Category will apply to or you can “Select All” if applicable to the entire Enterprise/Venue. Examples include POS versus Kiosk environments.
- Shippable: You can enable or disable the ability to ship items under this category.
- Non-Refundable: You can enable or disable the ability to refund items under this category.
- Quantity Required: When this option is enabled, all items under this category will prompt for quantity as you click on menu items on the Activate/POS side.[b]
- Image/Icon: You can add image and icon to this POS Category (Optional), images must be under 4MB.
- Click on the blue Save button to finish creating the Category.
Level 2 Categories
Once all Level 1 Categories exist, to create Level 2 and up, users must select a Category Hierarchy with each new category. This will link each Level together to create a solid category structure.
For example, if the Level 1 category is Wine, Wine would be selected under Category Hierarchy to create and link a new Category 2 and so on. This will follow for every structure stemming from the Level 1 categories. The rest of the details listed above are the same for every level.
Assigning POS Categories
Once a POS Category is created, it will need to be assigned to appear on the terminal.
- Select the newly created POS Category to edit.
- Click the Assigned Venues Tab.
- Click Assign Venue
- Select Assign to add the Category to the venue.
- Use the Unassign All or Assign All buttons for mass updates.
- Select the Assigned Items tab.
- Click Assign Item to choose menu items from the list that will fall under this POS Category.
- Select Assign next to each item that should be included in this category.
- Select the Assigned Item Attributes tab.
- Click Assign Item Attribute to choose Attributes that apply to this POS Category.
Assign POS Categories from Items
Another way to assign a POS Category to Items is through the Item details.
- From the Corporate Dashboard, select Items.
- Search for and select the Item to edit.
- Click the POS Categories tab.
- Select Assign and a window will appear with the available categories.
- Click Assign next to each applicable category.