What is GeoTax?
GeoTax is an inclusive tax type that allows users to apply an inclusive tax rate to a defined geo-fence. This option is only available for TPI (Tax Per Item) venues and iOS GPS enabled devices.
How Does GeoTax Work?
- When items are added to the cart, within Activate, the app calls out and records the devices GPS location.
- The GPS location coordinates are then associated to the order
- The coordinates and check information is then passed to Connect
- If the vendor/menu items have a GeoTax rate associated to it Connect looks at the GPS coordinates associated to the order and then checks to see if the coordinates match any of the GeoTax Rates
- If the order coordinates match a GeoTax GeoFence the inclusive tax associated to the GeoTax will then be applied to the order
- Completed Orders within Connect will display the captured coordinates in the Order Details
- If an order's coordinates fall outside the GeoTax rates geo-fence it will default to Geo Tax Not Found
- Users with the appropriate Connect Role configuration (Edit GeoTax) will be able to edit the Geo Tax Not Found tax rate and assign the correct tax rate with the Order Details.
How Do GeoTax Rates Behave within Tax Groups?
Tax Groups that have GeoTax Rates assigned to them will only apply GeoTax Rates that match the order/checks GPS Coordinates. Regular (Inclusive) Taxes within a tax group are stilled applied as normal
Tax Group: Canada
- Ontario (Geo) (5%)
- Yukon (Geo) (10%)
- Quebec (Geo) (7%)
- Federal Rate (Non-Geo) (5%)
Order/Check has GPS coordinates that match the Yukon GeoTax Rate Geo Fence. Only the Yukon GeoTax rate is applied. The Federal Rate is a regular inclusive tax of 5% and will also be applied.
Total Tax Applied: = Yukon (Geo) (10%) + Federal Rate (Non-Geo) (5%) = 15%
How Do I Configure GeoTax?
In order for Activate to send Connect the GPS coordinates associated to an order, the Permission Set associated to the users Employe Role must have the Payment option Send Order Location toggle set to YES
The vendor that the transaction is taking place in must have GeoTax enabled within the Vendor Role assigned to the vendor
Navigate to the Options Module >Tax Rates
Click on "Create"
Fill in the ancillary Tax Rate information but make sure the following configurations are set up properly
- Tax Type = Active
- Status = Active
- GeoTax = Active
When GeoTax is set to Active a new data area will appear.
The data area only accepts GeoJson formatted coordinates. Users can copy and paste the GeoJson data or upload a GeoJson file.
What is GeoJson? https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7946
Once the data has been uploaded or copy and pasted into the data field, click on "Import geoJson Format" button.
Once the file is imported a Google map will appear that displays the Geofence coordinates